Monday, January 14, 2013

Knotty Knock-Off: Bow Hair Clips

This Knotty Knock Off comes via the Make It and Love It blog, where she shows us how to make Simple Hair Bow Clips.  It is a great tutorial, and I made a dozen myself before getting squirrely and adding my own mischief to the design.  I added a jewel and changed up the no slip part.  For this project, you will need: three 4 1/2" strips of 3/8" ribbon, one alligator clip, one jewel, felt (optional), shelf liner, and a glue gun.


The pink ribbon is satin.  I treated the ends with Fray Check, which can be purchased anywhere craft supplies are sold.  When using grosgrain, like the yellow shown below, heat seal the ends with a lighter.

Notice the alligator clip I'm using has a point on the end, rather than the prongs.  It works just fine, so don't worry if you have one type or the other.  I bought these on Amazon.com. 

Cover the clip with one piece of ribbon, making sure you glue neatly, but generously to hold in place.  This part of the clip will be handled the most.  Make two loops with the other two pieces.  Glue to tack.

Stack loops to form a bow shape.  Tack together with glue.  Then, glue the bow on the clip and the jewel on the bow.

Open clip and glue your felt, then shelf liner inside.  On the Make It and Love It, she uses white.  So did I until it occurred to me that brown would look better in my daughter's hair.  The clasp seems to disappear and the bow is showcased more prominently.  You can even cover the clip with brown ribbon (or hair-colored ribbon, if not brown) to further accentuate the bow on top.  Also, sometimes I'm lazy and don't use the felt!


Knotty Know Know (Tip):  Don't close this clip until glue is completely dry! 
(duh, right?)  I've done it, more than once, and the glue is difficult to get off without bending the clip.
Okay, you're done!



No comments:

Post a Comment